Friday, January 27, 2012

“One is wise to cultivate the tree that bears fruit in our soul.”

- Henry David Thoreau

FRUIT.

Do you have fruit in your soul?  I have fruit in mine!

And here's a short post about how - in the past 5 months - I've been "cultivating the tree" that bears it. ;)


My favorite food has always been "fruit."  Can I pick just one?  Probably not - although I do have a small partiality towards grapefruit, blueberries, and kiwis.  I have never eaten a fruit that I did not enjoy, or would not eat again.  Since I've been in Italy (and France) I've been able to explore some new and exotic fruits.  Today, I want to share some of those with you - and hopefully encourage you to try some for yourself!

1. Indian Figs (aka Prickly Pears or Cactus Pears)


The first time I had and Indian fig, my roommate in Italy had brought one home, and gave me a slice to try.  The taste was incredibly sweet, and very juicy.  If I had to have one qualm about this one, it would be that the texture of the seeds on the inside isn't the most pleasant - but it's worth it for the taste!

2. Lychees



My first time for this one was in France.  These little guys are great.  They have a weird, prickly looking outside, and a large dark brown pit in the middle.  You peel the outside almost like the shell of a hardboiled egg.  The white fruit tastes a bit like the inside of a green grape.  Fun and delicious!

3. Chinese Grapefruit (aka Pomello)

The Chinese grapefruit is HUGE!  It is about the size of a cantaloupe or even a small watermelon.  I had a taste of this one in France.  It is much sweeter than the regular grapefruit - and therefore a great substitute for that not-so-healthy breakfast of grapefruit loaded with sugar packets.  The rind is quite thick though, so be ready for a bit of cutting and digging!

4. Blood Oranges


I found these by chance at the local farmer's market in Bologna.  They were cheaper than the regular oranges (and honestly, they looked similar from the outside!) so I decided to give them a shot.  I actually didn't know exactly what they were until I got home to figure out the translation!  They were a tad sweeter than regular oranges, while also being slightly more sour, but less acidic.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well - just go try some!

5. Persimmons


Last, but certainly not least, are persimmons.  These might be my new favorite fruit.  They are one of the sweetest natural things I have ever tasted.  Here in Italy, they're slightly more expensive than other fruit, but well worth the price.  WARNING: they must be VERY soft and ripe before you eat them.  Mine are usually falling apart.  If they aren't ripe, they have a very chalky, bitter taste that dries out your mouth - so make sure you steer clear of that error!


(All photos from http://www.foodsubs.com/ - great place to explore tons of exotic fruits!)

Like this post?  Share it!
What's your favorite fruit?  Let me know in the comments below.
Think you have a fruit that I might not like!  Challenge me!

Until next time!  Live Enriched!

No comments:

Post a Comment